Tuesday, June 6, 2006

FW: Traffic regulations due to Heads of state conference from 10-17 June 2006


I received this email at work today:

> Subject: routing thru doha in june
>
> You are kindly advised that, from June 10th through June 17th, Qatar will be hosting the Group of 77 plus China Conference. Over one hundred delegations and Heads of State from around the world are expected in Doha. This period will be one of the busiest periods that Doha and Qatar has experienced.
>
- The Corniche from the Airport to the Sheraton will be closed whenever a VIP motorcade is enroute (which means a good portion of the time). Traffic, especially around the Corniche area will be much worse than normal.
- These hotels will only be accessible to authorized conference delegates.
- Clearly, for convenience reasons alone, it will be wise to avoid these areas during the conference. Even if the roads are open it is suggested that you avoid using the Corniche in order to avoid getting "stuck" during a motorcade passing for long periods.
- When you do have to travel close to these areas ensure there is enough drinking water in the vehicle in the event that you might get stuck in the traffic for long periods in the heat. People using chronic medicine or diabetic prescriptions must ensure ample supply is available and at hand during these travels.

I was particularly impressed by the suggestion to bring any medication you may be taking as well as water in case your stuck in the car. I'm not sure how long they anticipate the delays to be, but if I need water to survive, it seems I'll be trapped for days. I think I'll avoid the area!

>
>
>

No comments: