Friday, July 13, 2007

Lake Wobegon Days


As Steve aptly pointed out, it's probably about time for a blog update about "Wobegon". The name seems the easiest place to start. When my sister got pregnant with her first baby, we named her baby while she was still pregnant (we named it Uno, followed by Duplex, and she's currently carrying Tricycle). Since they weren't finding out the gender, it made referencing the baby easier (and also made labeling Christmas gifts for the new baby easier too). Now it's our turn and the theme is Lakes- and thus Lake Wobegon (a fictitious town in a book written by Garrison Keilor).


Of course, we've gotten lots and lots of questions, so I'll just do the rest as an FAQ.


How far along are you? When are you due?

I'm due January 25 and I am just at 12 weeks now- 1 week shy of completing the first trimester.


How are you feeling?

I've been fortunate and not had any problems with morning sickness. I'm actually more tired now than I was earlier (which seems contrary to what all my books are telling me but whatever). I'm ready for bed at 9 and usually sneak in a 20 minute nap when I get home from work. Mood swings are lots of fun for both me and Steve. He's finally quit fighting them and just waits for them to roll by.


Any cravings?
Not really- but Steve just upgraded my donut love to craving status. I have probably eaten more donuts in the last 2 months than I have in a long time, but I don't really consider them a craving. It's kinda like my status with chocolate- I sometimes crave it, and if it's there, I'll certainly eat it and I enjoy eating it regularly. But I don't crave either too much. My sweet tooth has veered more into fruity candies (jelly beans and gummy bears for instance) than chocolate.


Any other fun symptoms?
The craziest one now is my sense of smell is making us both nuts. Steve bought salami at the grocery store last week- it's in a ziploc bag in the fridge and I can smell it when i open the freezer (I hold my breath when i open the fridge!). Leftovers can be quite problematic. We had a savory egg dish for dinner the other night and Steve warmed up leftovers for breakfast- I couldn't touch it and for half the day, that's all i could smell (and of course, it made me naseaus). I can smell his wine from across the room. Really, I've discovered that in the world, there are way more smells that i don't like than smells i do.


When are you coming back to the States? Are you having the baby there?

Aside from one more visit this fall, we won't be going back to the states until after Wobegon is born. I'll be having the baby here- yes, the medical facilities are good and lots of other expat women have babies here.


Are you showing yet? Are you excited to wear maternity clothes?

I'm not showing yet (well, only Steve and I would notice right now) and I'm definitely not looking forward to maternity clothes. I've started collecting because as near as we can tell, there are only a few shops that sell maternity clothes here (and the two we've been to carry the same line!). I like my wardrobe and complain regularly that I have nothing to wear- so I think a smaller collection and having to choose from a small selection at stores will make me cranky. Steve and I dread the day I outgrow my regular clothes because I imagine it'll be quite the temper tantrum! On the upside, my dear friend informed me that one of my favorite stores (ann taylor loft) now has a maternity line. Woohoo! And yes, i've already placed an order:>)


Will you find out if it's a boy or a girl?

No plans to find out but I'm awful with surprises, so it might be tough! And for preferences, I don't feel strongly one way or another (I'd prefer a little girl to a little boy, but then as teenagers I'd rather have a boy) but of course, Steve wants a boy.


How's Steve doing with all this?

Steve is quite excited. He reads the pregnancy books and is currently working his way through "40,001 Baby Names" (he's finished the boy names and is onto the girl names- turns out, he likes preppy names). He has a list of things I can't eat that he takes with him to the grocery store. He's suggested working on baby proofing and has bought 2 outfits (one for a boy and one for a girl). Unfortunately, they're cute short outfits and it seems unlikely that Wobegon will wear them in January even in Doha. We're working on nursery ideas and it turns out he's quite opionated on that too! And of course, he indulges my current food aversions (pretty much anything ethnic or too garlicy) and "cravings" (donuts mostly), has learned to deftly handle moods and doesn't whine when I go to bed at 9:30. In a nutshell, he's excited about Wobegon and very supportive with me.


I want to send lots and lots of presents- where should I send them?

Wow- thanks:>) To keep from annoying the mail room, until the end of September, send them to Scott and Melissa (we'll collect them when we're there in September). After that, not sure yet- we'll let you know.


Okay, I think I've answered all the questions I can recall. All is well and we'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yipppe a new blog and one about you and the baby. I enjoyed it all and you know of course that I have two boxes here for the baby, I was thinking of sending some now then some later but if you have to pay for the shipping charges then I will send it to S&M soon. It sounds like you were craving the donuts as I did York Peppermint patties, oh and ice tea. Now I have neither. I am glad you are watching you diet and by the sounds of it you really have no choice with Steve hounding you about it. I wish they had this thing around when Steve was born, what a fun way to let people know about your life there and all the exciting news yet to come. I send you both my love, Peg/Mom