Saturday, September 13, 2008

A Day in My Life

I’m long overdue for a blog entry so I’ll tell you about my day (this is exactly why Steve does more blogging- he has more interesting things to say than "let me tell you about my day”).

Today was my morning to wake up with Wynne. But, I was so tired because we were out late for a Ramadan event last night that didn’t even start until 9 o’clock. I know, I’m whining.

Anyway, fed Wynne her bottle and then let her crawl around while I drank my coffee and read a magazine. Not very interactive & motherly of me but motherhood has not weaned me off my morning cup of coffee. Also, now that Wynne has decided anything grown-up is infinitely more interesting than any baby toy - well, it’s far more peaceful to drink coffee on the sofa while she investigates the living room.

As you can probably guess, she didn’t have my full attention. Well, not until I heard the coughing/gagging noise. Turned around to find Wynne with a handful of dirt from my plant. Not sure how much went into the mouth, but as I pointed out to Steve later, it will certainly remain a part of her diet for a few more years. She also discovered the cat food the other day- the wet cat food. Ate that too. It makes me feel especially bad that she cries when we feed her some of the baby food I made. Dirt and cat food are apparently better than lentil soup?

After that, we woke up Steve so I could get ready to go. He shattered his personal record and showered in less than 10 minutes. While he did that, Wynne and I worked on our next morning ritual- make-up. Wynne investigates the various contents while I put on my make-up. She has a preference for some of the tubes and bottles, but today she discovered she could pull the top of the lip liner pencils, so our morning ritual has now been altered to keep the pencils out of her reach! It was also during this time she spit up on the floor so I cleaned it up with a pair of Steve’s shorts that were also on the floor. Bad wife. (Steve interrupts: “Wait until Sunday when I wipe her butt with your delicates.”

So, my appointment today was for the dentist. I hate the dentist. Hate it. So does my sister which leads me to believe we didn’t have a very good dentist as kids. Steve has to schedule the appointment because I’ll never do it and he has to nag me to go or I’ll “forget”. It’s all quite childish- but trust me, I really hate going to the dentist. As usual, the chair amazed me. It looked strikingly like an edgy, modern torture device. The last time I was at the dentist, the chair had a TV you could watch while waiting. I ended up getting sucked into some MTV or E! “Hollywood’s 100 hottest beach bods” show or something like that. Bad choice as the hygienist and dentist were both clearly distracted (you can’t actually watch TV when they’re cleaning- but they can). Anyway, survived that, and look mom, no cavities!

I did stop at the mall on the way home and the only thing of note was that I watched this little local girl of 7 or 8 take a package of pacifiers in and out of the store just to set the security alarm off. Then she discovered she could set the alarm off by hitting the detectors. No one else seemed to notice.

In the afternoon, I took Wynne to her playgroup. She’s quite outgoing but is about 6 months younger than the other kids. We had a funny incident last week. A child was learning parts of the body- apparently had just learned “eye”, so he would point/poke at his parents’ eyes and proudly say “eye”. Then he started doing it to other kids and I quickly decided we would have to learn a better way to teach wynne about “eye” before she pokes someones eye out in excitement. On Tuesday, while Steve was pushing Wynne in a swing, a 14-month old girl bolted past the swing and before Steve could react, Wynne ended up knocking her over. Steve heard two thuds - the chair smacking the girl and the girl making a beeline for the floor. The girl was slightly stunned but otherwise OK. Wynne, we’re pretty sure never noticed flattening her, so we’ll have to take that under consideration when she wants a drivers license.

The day's not yet over, but we'll call this good! Oh, and a picture of Wynne just for fun. We had a couple over for drinks last weekend so we got Wynne dressed up for the occasion.

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Loved the blog, my goodness she is growing up. Looking forward to seeing you all for the holidays.
Just make sure she stays out of the kitty litter, my she is curious and apparently loves to explore.

Melissa said...

She's getting prettier everyday, Erin! Thanks for the update...sounds like she's keeping you busy! Note to self - once Alex starts crawling, put away all plants and wet cat food - ewwwwwwwww!

Anonymous said...

She is so beautiful