Wednesday, August 2, 2006

The Swiss and Chocolates

Today I found out who's been leaving chocolates on my desk. I had a suspicion, but of course, it was totally wrong. Turns out it was someone I would've least expected- a new guy who transferred here about a couple months ago. We've always said "hi" in the hallways and I'm not sure I've ever seen him eat candy from my candy dish. Anyway, we invited him and his wife out to dinner this Friday and when he replied (over email) he told me he'd been leaving the chocolates on my desk.

In other friends news, we have stalker. Or maybe we're stalking them- it's not clear. We met them at the gym two weeks ago (he was wearing a Houston t-shirt) and had dinner with them last weekend. They're very nice. Anyway, in the two weeks, we've run into them at the bookstore, Berlitz (they're taking Arabic too!), in a store in the mall, and 2 or 3 times at the gym. Thankfully they don't seem to think we're stalking them- they accepted an invite to our dinner party next weekend!

And that is the other big friend news- we're having our first dinner party. We're inviting our friends from the gym, a couple we had dinner with a month ago (they went on vacation after that), and a couple Steve knows from work. I voted for a "happy hour" so we could invite more people, but Steve suggested we start small.

So, no, I don't think we have any friends here yet- but we're working on it! It's really taken a concerted effort. When I suggested we invite my candy coworker and his wife to dinner, Steve replied "Isn't that a little forward?" since I'd only said "hi" to him a few times (and I didn't know he left candy for me). Maybe, but we really have no choice. People aren't exactly knocking down our door and inviting us out, so if we're going to have friends, we're going to have to be more assertive (and brave!!).

3 comments:

Peggy said...

Hummmmm, just maybe Steve is a little jealous. It sounds like a great idea to have them over and it sounds like you are making friends. I am happy that you get to show off your skills and I know it will be a success. Is the "chocolate" man from the Houston area? Have a great dinner party.

Erin said...

Steve's not jealous- not sure why he would be! My coworker is from South America.

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, First time I have had time to look at your and Erins page. Enjoyed looking at all the pictures ...and believe it or not it was easy to get to your site unlike the ones in the us.LOL Hope all is well and hope it is not too long until you can visit again. Bren