We’re starting off 2009 with a bang. We’re moving. Back to Houston. In mid-February. Yeah, that’s six weeks away. We’re not thrilled, but we’re not terribly upset. We’re ready to leave Doha but not ready to go back to the U.S. given all the economic problems and since there’s no pay uplift. But, as with every move we’ll make the best of it.
Knowing that we’re leaving Doha in less than 6 weeks has caused us to think about the things we’ll miss, the things we won’t, and the things we’re looking forward to. I guess it’s only natural, these lists we make in our heads as we go through the days.
Things Erin will miss:
- My multicultural coworkers- I learned a lot and I met some wonderful people
- Having one car- I enjoy carpooling with Steve everywhere. It’s not the most convenient option, but it’s worked well enough for us. I think Steve’s ready to stop being my driver though.
- Mine and Steve’s breakfast routine (with a longer day, I have to get to work earlier, and Steve’s not that keen on getting up earlier)
- Our neighborhood
- Time, money and opportunity for international travel
- The few friends we have made here
- Cheap household help
Things Steve will miss:
- Cheap housemaids
- Lebanese Food
- The Doha job market
- Doha as a convenient place to fly from to Africa, Asia, Europe…
- Our compound and our friends
- People with a worldview
- Being exceptional by just being American
- Everyone delivers
Things Erin is ready to leave:
- Doha Traffic
- Aspects of the local culture
- Lulu and mega mart (our local grocery stores)
- Driving
- Summers at 120f
- Dust storms
- Communication difficulties
Things Steve is ready to leave
- All of the above plus
- Bad cable TV
- Lack of available goods/services
Things Erin is looking forward to:
- Being closer to the family
- Having things to do besides shop
- Movies in movie theatres
- Rules that apply to everyone
- good haircuts
- garden tubs
- Predictable traffic patterns
- Yummy restaurants
- Better shopping (or is that a bad thing when we’re trying to save money?)
- Grocery stores
- My sister will only be 7 hours away- driving!
- Road trips
- Our own furniture
- Being able to go for walks in areas larger than 4 square blocks
- Pork chops
- Good wine
Things Steve is looking forward to:
- Being closer to the family
- Sporting events
- Bacon
- Concerts
- Ham
- Real movie popcorn butter and unedited movies
- Pork chops
- The same value system
- Road trips
- Pork
- Pork
- Did I say Pork?
Also, we had every intention of sending out Christmas cards this year. Erin brought the letters and addresses with us to the U.S. where we then bought cards. But then she couldn’t find the letters and addresses until the moment (literally) after we had mailed the cards back to Doha because we figured we must’ve left the letters and addresses back. We’d decided to send everything out after we got back. Then we got home to Doha and found the letters IN OUR LUGGAGE. Then, a week later, the cards arrived. And that same day, we found out we were moving back to Houston. And the letter seemed kinda silly omitting that news and the whole project seemed rather time intensive considering we only have 6 weeks to figure out our move… In any case, merry Christmas and happy New Year. Although we were wary of what 2009 has in store (Erin was even before the move) truthfully, we are hopeful.
2 comments:
We sure are glad to have you guys back on the same continent. Will be so much easier to get together! Looking forward to it. Having spent so much time in England/Europe, I understand how it can be hard to leave... but on a selfish note.. YAY! Welcome back!
I had a feeling I should check your blog! I wish you a safe and easy move (cross fingers!). Erin, I will be sending you an email soon!! ~ Heather
Post a Comment