Ok, this is one of the things I will miss in Houston. Japanese dollar store "The Daiso" has several locations in the middle east, one of them being in Doha in one of the glitzy shopping malls. In true dollar store fashion, they have everything you never realized you needed. Wigs, rubber bands whose package is branded "gymnastics of the head", stationary specifically "for the funeral", various sizes of the flag of Singapore, etc. are some of the crazy things you can get on the cheap.
My absolute favorite thing about Daiso is the mis-translations. Everwhere you look you see items with hilariously mis-translated labels and printings. Yesterday we bought a bunch of gift bags, which I am not kidding, had these actual phrases printed on them:
"Lovely Present: I have never received a present this great before."
"TRANSPARENT TONE AND COLOR. I have something to tell you."
"Where did you come? We are always the same. The usual friend."
{on a greeting card with a picture of a monkey holding a banana} "So sweet You also want to eat?"
"Baby Candy"
"I wish you are happy in your life"
"I'm hungry. Give me foods!"
"Happy Sunday. I want to know a little about it. Learning is exciting...."
"PASS EACH OTHER"
"love that I am recently anxious about my dreams that I want to protect."
and my absolute favorite,
"cherry. Please help yourself to the cherry."
I'm going to miss Daiso.
-Steve
1 comment:
seriously had me laughing out loud, great post, Steve!
Post a Comment