Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Not so Happy Today

I didn't want to write today because I don’t really want to share my bad days with everyone.  Who wants to read about bad days anyway?  Obviously I decided to write- mainly to document this whole experience, not just the parts that are happy and fun.

It started last night when my boss asked for a copy of my predecessor's most recent work.  In Houston,  I could've completed this task in 15 minutes.  Here, I'm pushing 24 hours and it's still not completed.  I had to track down the hard copy of the map, rummage through his old files on the computer and confirm with my coworker.  That was mostly easy and took a little time.  Then I just needed to print it.  Simply print a stupid map.  That's what is hanging me up- the printer1 will be fixed tomorrow (or so I've been told), my computer is confused between printer 2 and 3, and 3 has takes the wrong kind of paper.  The help desk was of no help.  My coworker tried printing to no avail.  Seriously, I just want to print this map. 

Upon moving here, we were told that things will take longer and not to expect to accomplish as much.  I really don't think I'm being unreasonable but apparently I am.  I want someone to come pick up the extra equipment in my office and I've asked every day this week. My various reimbursements are up in the air and I just want those finished.  I'd like this permit process to finish.  I just finished arguing with Steve (in a whisper since I'm in a cubicle now) about the furniture upholstery.  There are so many things I just want to be done with. Really, I'm just going nuts today.  Thankfully tomorrow is another day and maybe the printer will be fixed.

In other, more fun news, we went on a geology field trip this last weekend.  It was for the whole family so Steve went and there were lots of kids.  We've got a few pictures Steve will post (hopefully the computer will be here this week!)- but the camera batteries died at the first stop.  We were off-roading and saw lots of camels.  It was a good time.  Thankfully the weather isn't too warm yet!  We ended the afternoon by swimming at the compound's pool. After swimming we went out to dinner at the local Tex-Mex restaurant in a hotel here.  We drank margaritas and had fajitas.  Although the second round of margaritas were probably the worst we've ever had, overall a good and fun evening.  Saturday we went shopping at one of the 3 malls.  It looked like any other mall and had some nice clothing stores.  Unfortunately no Ann Taylor or really any good work-clothes stores, but I found some jeans and a couple shirts.  Steve bought shirts and more socks (still recovering from the poor job of packing for this "before the air shipment" time). 

So, that's the news from Doha.  Surely my mood will improve! 

Erin

No comments: